How to Prepare for and Present a Seminar (Including a ...
How to Prepare for and Present a Seminar (Including a Research Proposal) Diran Apelian Alcoa-Howmet Professor of Engineering Director, Metal Processing Institute WPI, Worcester, MA
Distinguished Visiting Professor Chemical Engineering and Materials Science - UC Davis Some Advicefor professional life OUTLINE
1. Power of communication 2. General and Specific rules in making a presentation 3. Q&A period 4. Research proposal Power of Effective Communications
Leadership Inspire colleagues Power of analysis and synthesis Simplify complex issues explain Recognition within organization OUTLINE
1. Power of communication 2. General and specific rules in making a presentation 3. Q&A period 4. Research proposal
REMEMBER. CONTENT DESIGN DELIVERY GENERAL RULES
1. KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE GENERAL RULES 2. BE PREPARED - confidence - mechanical issues
- notes/no notes? GENERAL RULES 3. BE ON TIME - slides or no slides? - how many slides?
- remember: Effective is the key word GENERAL RULES 4. HAVE A MESSAGE HAVE A STORY TO TELL
(make sure it is clear to you!) PREMISE Knowledge and know-how determine how well off societies are vis a vis to other societies Education of engineers is critical to every nation to ensure the prosperity of their citizens
Standard of living hinges on our ability to educate a large number of sufficiently innovative engineers Follow the Money ! R&D spending fuels innovation Creation of wealth is related to a nations ability to make products that other nations want to purchase GENERAL RULES
5. TELL THE AUDIENCE WHAT YOU WILL DO DO IT TELL THEM WHAT YOU DID GENERAL RULES
6. NO COMMERCIALIZATION & GIVE CREDITS - co-authors - sponsors - slides borrowed - data
GENERAL RULES 7. LESS IS MORE (BEAUTY IN SIMPLICITY) GENERAL RULES
8. NO JOKES - fine line between being entertaining and unprofessional USE PERSONAL STORIES THAT STRENGTHEN MESSAGE
GENERAL RULES 9. ENGAGE THE AUDIENCE CONNECT WITH THEM GENERAL RULES
10. BE EXCITED ABOUT THE SUBJECT; BE POSITIVE SPECIFIC SKILL SETS SPECIFIC SKILL SETS
1. DO NOT LOOK AT SLIDES/SCREEN LOOK AT THE AUDIENCE IMPORTANCE OF EYE CONTACT SPECIFIC SKILL SETS 2. ATTENTION SPAN OF AUDIENCE
(1/3rd RULE) DO NOT BARRAGE THEM WITH SLIDES SPECIFIC SKILL SETS 3. CLARITY - in writing
- in graphs and tables - color scheme - sentences vs bullets - photos - margins - movies
Force Directed Placement: GPU Implementation Bernice Chan Ivan So Mark Teper Force Directed Placement Nodes represented by masses Edges represented by springs Motions of elements are simulated iteratively until steady state is reached Basic Implementation The Force Directed Placement algorithm...
Another type of flexible cable, known as "household flex", which consists of three cores with the same core areas as that of "Cabtyre cord", is also available. The stranded cores are insulated with either PVC, TRS or heat resistant silicone....
Biggs, Simon, Manthorpe, Jill, Tinker, Anthea, Doyle, Melanie & Erens, Bob 2009, 'Mistreatment of older people in the United Kingdom: Findings from the first National Prevalence Study', Journal of Elder Abuse and Neglect, vol. 21, pp. 1-14. ... Cripps 2001;...
Temporal variability in climate - crop - soil interaction. Translating Missouri USDA-ARS Research and Technology into Practice. A training session provided by USDA-ARS-CSWQRU, 10-11 October 2012, Columbia, MO. Much of Missouri cropland has a high probability of receiving excessive rainfall...
Normal1.dot 1 13-Feb-02 Shrimp Vertebrates No inflammatory response Inflammatory resoponse Pathogen usually persists Pathogen usually cleared Infectious for others Not infectious for others Tolerance to viruses normal Tolerance to viruses rare No antibodies found in serum Antibodies found in serum...
School ILP Administration Tool. Monitor ILP Completion Status both individually and at the aggregate level. Generate a wide variety of customizable reports for every data element included in the ILP, including Student Survey Results. Send messages to students and add...
Ready to download the document? Go ahead and hit continue!