Miss Farrell Welcomes you to South Pointe M.S. 6th Grade
Confucius says Please put Processing 22 on your desk in front of you. Staple the rubric to the front of your poster. O.A. Confucius Says . Ch. 23: The Han Dynasty 1. Work with table group 2. Go to placard, answer question (step 1)
3. Read section and complete RN (step 2) 4. Skip step 3 Han Dynasty Achievements 23.2 Warfare 1. How far did the Han empire extend? west into central Asia east to present-day Korea south to present-day Vietnam 2. What weapons made the Han army strong?
improved armor iron swords crossbows kites (communication, frighten, measure) 23.3 Government
1. What is a bureaucracy? form of government government officials ran offices (bureaus) few at the top, many at the bottom people direct those below them
2. How did Han emperors decide who would receive govt jobs? No longer hired by social status Civil service exam Tested their knowledge of classic writings, including Confucianism Choose the most educated and ethical 23.4 Agriculture 1. What problems did farmers face?
grow food, make their clothing build their homes one month unpaid labor to the govt floods and drought destroyed their crops 2. How did the tools help farmers? chain pump easier to move water from irrigation ditches and canals to fields
iron plow easier to prepare fields wheelbarrow allowed farmers to move heavy loads 23.5 Industry 1. How was the production of silk made easier? Foot-powered machine wound fibers into large reels 2. How did they make it easier to get salt? Iron-tipped bamboo drills Bamboo poles to get brine underground
Brine was evaporated, leaving salt behind 23.6 Art 1. What type of writing material was used before paper? Wrote with brush and ink on bamboo and silk 2. Why was paper an improvement? inexpensive easier to bind together absorbed ink well
23.7 Medicine 1. What is moxibustion? cone of powder placed on the skin lit to relieve pain and promote healing also practice acupuncture 2. What was discovered about blood? blood circulates from the heart, through body, and back to heart used heart beat and pulse to assess health discovered a type of wine to use as anesthetic
23.8 Science 1. What did astronomers discover? moon shines because it reflects light of the sun solar eclipses happen when moon blocks sun 2. For what purpose were the first compasses used? determine where to build temples, graves, homes Later used for ship navigation Also invented seismograph Flip Tabs The Achievements of the Han Dynasty
1. Make three flip tabs on each 2. Choose six achievements / inventions 3. Write title on the upper edge of flip tabs Achievements of the Han Dynasty 4. Colored picture on top 5. Description inside 6. No pencil, no stick figures (ISN 97) Define the Silk Road.
Network of smaller trade routes that stretched more than 4,000 miles across Asia. From China to the Mediterranean Sea (East to West) Goods: silk, china, glassware, gold Ideas: Buddhism On your desk: Directions Red construction paper
Map of China Yellow flip tabs Glue stick Scissors China Foldable Make shutter fold Title The Great Book of Ancient China on front Map
Fold hamburger, then hotdog Glue map to inner right section Achievements of the Han Dynasty Glue to middle section (top half) Three Philosophies flip tabs Fold hotdog, fold into thirds, cut tabs Confucianism, Daoism, Legalism Description inside Glue to inner left section
Dynasty Circle Divide circle into fourths Shang dynasty, Zhou dynasty, Qin dynasty, Han dynasty Dates and descriptions on back Make pocket on middle section (bottom half) Bottom of directions: No pencil China Foldable Make shutter fold
Title Ancient China on front Map - fold hamburger, then hotdog Glue map to inner right section Glue Han Achievements to middle section (top half) Make Three Philosophies flap book Confucianism, Daoism, Legalism Definition inside Glue three philosophies to inner left section Divide circle into fourths Shang dynasty, Zhou dynasty, Qin dynasty, Han dynasty Dates and descriptions on back
Alleghany Orogeny Birth of Pangea Alleghany Orogeny Final event in the assembly of Pangea Iapetus Ocean is completely closed Gondwana collides with Laurentia Western Africa collides with Eastern North America Largest orogenic event in southern Appalachians Structural Effects: tilting/folding Structural...
8-1 Similarity in Right Triangles 2/19/13 Bell Work 1. Write a similarity statement comparing the two triangles. Simplify. 2. 3. ... A surveyor positions himself so that his line of sight to the top of a cliff and his line...
Lab Safety Rap Lab Rap! Pay attention to the lyrics... TPS (Think Pair Share) Quick write: 1. (T) List 3 rules from the rap. 2. (P) Turn to your partner and discuss why the rules you chose are important.
3. Six Easy Steps7. Take them out of their "Comfort zone" Ana Mesquita Emlinger. [email protected] "The world is full of magic things waiting patiently for our senses to sharpen" John Keats Propose an exercise that will challenge them: I use...
points or levels of response marked. This whole 'Information to examiners' section is given in the Handout. This section . is. very important. and needs to be flagged up. Worth talking through some of the sections in the handout to...