VITAL SIGNS: LOOKING FOR LIFE AFTER THE WORSHIP WARS Just ...
Singing Styles and Techniques Dean McIntyre, Director of Music Resources The General Board of Discipleship (GBOD) Nashville, Tennessee 1 WHAT DO WE SING? We are blessed with a multitude of different
musical styles for congregational singing. a. traditional hymns b. canticles and chants c. Psalm settings d. folk songs 2 More What Do We Sing? e. Spirituals f. traditional Gospel songs
g. contemporary Gospel songs h. ethnic, global, multicultural songs i. praise songs, choruses, choritos j. new hymns and songs But, what do we do with these? How do we program and manage them all? 3 Techniques for Arranging or Varying Congregational Song 1. Divide stanzas among
groups 2. Divide congregation spatially 3. Choir sings alone 4. Soloist or ensemble sings 5. Different groups on different stanzas 6. Read a stanza aloud with or without accompaniment 7. Read a stanza silently with or without acc.
8. Read a stanza silently 9. Alternate accompaniment 10. Sing in another language 11. Instrumental stanza, interlude, descant 4 HOW SHALL WE SING?
12 Ways to Plan Congregational Singing 1. Sing a New Song - one unknown to your people - 728, Come Sunday - Worship & Song #3050, Until Jesus Comes 5 HOW SHALL WE SING? 12 Ways to Plan Congregational Singing 2. Sing an Old Song
- to connect to your heritage - 363, And Can It Be (st. 1,4,5) 6 HOW SHALL WE SING? 12 Ways to Plan Congregational Singing 3. Sing with New Accompaniment - change from organ to guitar & drums - change from praise band to brass - change the tune
- 89, Joyful, Joyful & 400, Come Thou Fount 7 More change the tune - 526, What a Friend and SCARLET RIBBONS - 368, My Hope Is Built and MELITA (NAVY HYMN), TFWS 2191 - 95, Doxology and 211, O ComeEmmanuel - but be careful: 286, O Sacred Head and
514, Stand Up, Stand Up for Jesus - 57, O for a Thousand Tongues to Sing 8 Sing a New Song (continued) 9 Sing a New Song (continued)
10 HOW SHALL WE SING? 12 Ways to Plan Congregational Singing 4. Sing without Accompaniment: voices only, concentrate on the words - 393, Spirit of the Living God 11 HOW SHALL WE SING?
12 Ways to Plan Congregational Singing 5. Sing with Movement: sway, step, clap hands, tap feet, walk about - 84, Thank You, Lord 12 HOW SHALL WE SING? 12 Ways to Plan Congregational Singing 6. Sing with Strong Rhythm: put a strong beat in the keyboard and percussion
- 2151, Im So Glad - 618, Let Us Break Bread Together - 369, Blessed Assurance 13 HOW SHALL WE SING? 12 Ways to Plan Congregational Singing 7. Sing Expressively: let the text guide tempo and volume - 322, Up from the Grave He Arose
- 275, The Kingdom of God - 2133, Give Me a Clean Heart 14 HOW SHALL WE SING? 12 Ways to Plan Congregational Singing 8. Sing Silently: - read a stanza - with or without accompaniment Read a Stanza Aloud:
- leader or congregation - with or without accompaniment 15 HOW SHALL WE SING? 12 Ways to Plan Congregational Singing 9. Sing responsively - use call & response with song leader - make singing interactive & conversational - 657, This Is the Day
- 2033, Glory to God - 211, antiphonally: O Come, O Come, Emmanuel - 207, canonically: Prepare the Way of the Lord 16 HOW SHALL WE SING? 12 Ways to Plan Congregational Singing 10. Sing with All Ages
- welcome and value all ages by singing their special songs (Jesus Loves Me, God of the Sparrow, and Living for Jesus) 11. Sing outside of Sunday Worship - Sunday School, youth, UMW, UMM - church meetings, charge conference - weddings, funerals, picnics 17 HOW SHALL WE SING? 12 Ways to Plan Congregational Singing
12. Sing the Style: with integrity 2270, I Will Enter His Gates and 2031, We Bring the Sacrifice of Praise 367, He Touched Me 382, Have Thine Own Way, Lord and 2152, Change My Heart, O God 18 CONCLUSION
Africana African Proverb Without singing, the Spirit will not descend. 19 CONCLUSION
Bring life to the liturgy. Express the inexpressible. Strengthen the spoken word. Facilitate the hearing and understanding of the spoken word. Bring unity. The very thing we fought the worship wars over music can also bring us together. THANKS BE TO GOD! 20
Challenges for autonomous systems Regulatory complexity that confronts a railway company Infrastructure Manager Project Entity Proposer Transport Operator Railway Undertaking ASBO DEBO NOBO TSI ROGS 2006 RIR 2011 MHSWR 1998 CSM-RA HASAWA 1974 Change Key fundamentals of the regulatory framework...
Wedge clay to remove air bubbles, to achieve uniform consistency and to line up the clay particles. Ten Golden Rules of Clay! Trapped air can cause clay to explode during the firing process. So hollow out sculptural forms or thick...
Dr Hilary Bower Medical Coordinator Family Planning NSW Health Care Providers portal - enabling health care professionals to retrieve information about participation, screening history & to check if reminders sent Delay in electronic portal implementation in December 2017 ,initial access...
Rock Cycle. Forces deep inside Earth and at the surface produce a slow cycle that builds, destroys, and changes the rocks in the crust. The rock cycle is a series of processes that occur on Earth's surface and in the...
Human vision is limited to wavelengths ranging from about 400 to 700nm. (visible electromagnetic radiation) ... Histology of the Retina. Eye Dissection. ... The degree of curvature in the cornea or lens varies from one axis to another (is uneven...
Boundary Layer Meteorology Lecture 4 Turbulent Fluxes Energy Cascades Turbulence closures ... One-and-a-half oder closure In this case we acknowedge that an eddy diffusivity (K) ought to depend on the kinetic energy of the eddy part of the flow; so...
3-bromo-1-chlorobutane. Solution. Draw the condensed structural formula for . 3-bromo-1-chlorobutane. STEP 1 . Draw the main chain of carbon atoms. The longest chain in butane has four carbon atoms.C—C—C—C. STEP 2 .
Identify five factors that affect climate and explain how each affects climate. How does latitude affect climate? ... Although a climograph does not provide complete climate information, it does portray two of the most important elements of climate -- precipitation...
Ready to download the document? Go ahead and hit continue!